Sunday, September 11, 2011

Start Your Engines

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity...

LET'S GO RACING!

Bristol Motor Speedway

Can you guess what I have been up to? That's right! I have been watching some racing. How did you know?! :)

If you knew me growing up, you will be shocked at this post. I admit, I was never a big race fan. My family was always all about baseball, and I just didn't see what could be fun about watching cars drive around in circles. The only exciting part about it was when they wrecked. Then, I met Brandon Coble, a very dedicated race fan. He convinced me to go to a few races with him and I slowly began to understand the appeal of the sport.

Allstar race 2010
Now, don't get too excited. I have yet to figure out all the rules and I have not picked a favorite driver (I just always cheer for who Brandon wants to win). However, I have grown to like the race atmosphere. Hundreds of people gathering to support their favorite driver and celebrate a sport that was born in the South...what could be better than that?

However, I always have the same problem whenever I attend a race. What am I going to wear? I have sweated to death at Bowman Gray Stadium and I have been crying for a jacket in Richmond, Virginia. I never seem to wear the right attire.

I recently headed over to Bristol, Tennessee with Brandon to enjoy some modified cars and truck races. This time, I googled what to wear to a race, and came more prepared than ever before. Today, I am going to share with you what I believe every girly girl needs when they attend any type of race.

1. Sunglasses or a hat


  


It is very sunny. You will need these. You might even need to wear both at the same time.

2. A poncho or jacket.

Unexpected rain at Bowman Gray Stadium
It can and will rain or become chilly unexpectedly. You are not allowed to bring umbrellas into the race track. I learned this the hard way when the man searching bags at the gate in Bristol told me that I was not supposed to have an umbrella. Luckily, he didn't make me walk all the way back to the car to put it away :)

3. Comfortable shoes.


You will be doing a lot of walking. There is no point in wearing those cute new flats that rub your toes. Skip the pain and throw on your Rainbows or your tennis shoes.

4. A light shirt.


All of the websites I read recommended that you stick to the t-shirt. The material is lighter and it will keep you cooler. On the Bristol trip, I decided to make my white shirt a little more girly by adding an orange scarf that I borrowed from my cousin Katelyn.

Pit stop to check out the mountains
4. A bag.


I chose to use a Catawba bag that I had available in my jeep. This was much easier than digging around for my wallet or sunglasses in my huge purse.

5. Water.


You will get thirsty. You will need this. Coolers are usually allowed inside, so you can stock up and bring some in with you.


6. The final and most important thing that you need to remember before you head out on your racing adventure is MONEY.

You will need some extra cash. There are all kinds of vendors and many different concession stands. Once you smell those hotdogs and pizzas cooking, you will not be able to resist. Or, a cute hat or shirt may catch your eye. I saw some girly pink hats that I wouldn't mind purchasing. I just have to find a favorite driver first...

I hope that this post has been helpful. Now all of you readers can enjoy a day at the race track, while remaining girly and classy. AND if any of you girly girl race fans out there has an idea of who I should root for when I attend my next race, I am open to your suggestions. 

Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!

No comments:

Post a Comment